In this episode, I interview Vic Costello, fellow elder and friend. Here are some of the points we discuss:
· There is a great quote about giving each other liberty from Gregg Harris: http://hofccblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/responsible-in-liberty/
· The Lord “commands the blessing” when brothers walk together in unity. (Psalm 33)
· We discuss the importance of giving one another liberty in the nonessentials. Essentials are matters of preeminent importance, upon which we must agree.
· The two ditches we must avoid are legalism and license. The “road” we must stay on is “liberty.”
· Salvation is a one-time event. Sanctification is an ongoing process which cannot begin until salvation begins. The danger happens when we try to judge where people are in that process, or try to become their ‘sanctifier.’
· The book of Philippians is an excellent study in unity. There are seven principles that Paul lays out for the church that help us walk together as those who love each other in the Lord.
Paul also gives three commands to those who are in conflict.
The road to sanctification is unique to who we are.
If you have a question for me about this episode OR have a church related issue that you want me to cover on a future episode, leave an audio message for me by clicking the tab on the right, “Send a Voice Message”, or go to https://www.speakpipe.com/HealthyChurchRadio. You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please subscribe to the podcast, and go to the podcast on iTunes and give it a 5-star rating, if you have benefitted from it. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter, too. If you like this podcast, send me a tweet and let me know at @JMarkFox!
Thanks for telling your friends about Healthy Church Radio!
Vic Costello is an elder at Antioch Community Church in Elon, North Carolina. He and his wife Beth have been married since 1982 and have four children. He holds a Ph.D. in Communications from the University of Tennessee and is author of a college textbook called Multimedia Foundations: Core Concepts for Digital Design.