In this episode, I continue exploring the subject of public speaking as a valuable tool that we all need in our toolbox. I have taught Public Speaking to college students for more than 22 years, and have seen students come into class terrified of public speaking and finish the course with a new confidence that they can actually succeed! This skill has applications for every profession, as well as being an essential for good preaching and teaching in the church.
In this podcast, I talk about the seventh, eighth and ninth obstacle to public speaking:
- Not using humor effectively. The first rule on using humor is that it works. Humor is a wonderful bridge. It breaks down walls of resistance in your audience, especially if you can laugh at yourself.
- Offering weak building blocks. Stories, quotes and stats are the three building blocks of a good speech. Stories give a speech life. Quotes give a speech credibility. Stats give a speech weight.
- Poor delivery. One professional speaker said it like this: Get excited about your message or die on the platform!
- You can order my e-book for just $4.99 here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/420735
- My article, “Speaking Clearly is a Skill that’s like, lacking, you know?” can be found here: http://www.elon.edu/e-net/Article/89835
Please connect with me.
- If you have a question for me about this episode OR have a church related issue that you want me to cover on a future episode, leave an audio message by clicking the tab on the right, “Send a Voice Message”, or at SpeakPipe.
- Please subscribe to the podcast.
- Go to iTunes and give it a 5-star rating, if you have benefitted from it.
- Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for telling your friends about Healthy Church Radio!