In this 106th podcast of Healthy Church Radio, I talk about the prevalence of discouragement and even depression among pastors and church leaders. I interview my friend and fellow pastor, Dr. Wade Cox, who has recently come out of a time of discouragement, and we discuss the follow questions:
- What are some of the reasons you believe pastors get discouraged or even depressed? Or, what were the triggers for you?
- What are the signs and symptoms to look for?
- What are the things you did that helped you come out of it? What did God teach you through this?
- Any other advice or encouragement you would give to pastors or church leaders who may be going through this trial?
Thank you for being a faithful listener to Healthy Church Radio. I look forward to sharing more episodes with you in the weeks and months ahead.
Please connect with me.
- If you have a question for me about this episode OR have a church related issue that you want me to cover on a future episode, leave an audio message by clicking the tab on the right, “Send a Voice Message”, or at SpeakPipe.
- Please subscribe to the podcast.
- Go to iTunes and give it a 5-star rating, if you have benefitted from it.
- Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for telling your friends about Healthy Church Radio!
Dr. Wade Cox
Pastor Wade has served as the Pastor of Nall Memorial Baptist Church since 1994. He is an Alamance County native and graduated from Graham High School in 1984. Wade met his beautiful and talented wife Dannette while in college at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA and they were married in 1994. They have two daughters, Michaela (16) and Courtney (14), and live in Haw River. Wade earned an A.A.S.degree from Alamance Community College (’86), a B.S. degree from Liberty University (’90), a M.A.R (’92) and a M.Div. (’94) from Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary, and a Doctor of Ministry degree (’08) also from Liberty Seminary. In addition to serving as pastor-teacher at Nall Memorial, Wade teaches Christian Worldview at Veritas Classes in Elon, NC, and also teaches Introduction to Christian Thought; and, Fundamental Theological Issues as an Adjunct Professor with Liberty University Online.
Hobbies include: working in the yard tending his Muscadine grape vines and the family herb garden, rabbit hunting with his little Beagles, collecting old American made 28 gauge SXS doubles and reading with his wife while sipping a Skim Café Mocha.
Loves vacationing with the family in the NC mountains in Mid-October and Surf fishing with the family on Ocracoke Island.
Favorite foods: Grilled Rainbow Trout, Grilled Quail, Nesbitt and Triumph Muscadines, Apple Butter on Cornbread, and all things Peanut Butter.
Favorite Beverages: Skim Café Mochas (no Whip cream) at Panera, and Green Tea with lemon and local Honey.
Exercise: Walks 2 miles most every day while praying/praising or listening to sermon podcasts.
Currently on IPod: Chip Ingram, Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Dave Ramsey.
Most recent Sermon Series: verse-by-verse through the Epistle of James.
Recent books read: Who’s Afraid of the Holy Spirit by Daniel Wallace (a moderate Cessationist); and, Straight Talk on Spiritual Power by Bill Hull (a moderate Continuationist).